Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Stripey, Batty Chest of Drawers

It's a sad fact that I have no artistic ability.  Zero.  I can barely draw stick figures.  Once, I tried taking a beginner's drawing class.  After working with me for a few minutes, the instructor said, "It's like you have some kind of learning disability for drawing."  Gee, thanks.

Despite my "disability," I love to rescue old furniture and give it new life with paint.  With craft stores full of stencils and so forth, one does not need to be a Monet to create a fun piece of furniture.  I'm sure the artists on etsy would scoff at me, but I am happy with the results (and that's all that matters). 

I found this little chest of drawers in a thrift store.  It was real wood and absolutely the perfect size for the corner of my bedroom. 

(Sorry for the lack of step-by-step photos.  This project was done pre-blog.)

First, I sanded it a little to smooth out the nicks and dings, then applied a coat of latex primer.  Primer helps the paint stick; this is especially important if you have not stripped the furniture down to the bare wood.

Then I painted the drawer fronts and the sides of the chest black and the front and top of the chest white.  I used Behr interior latex paint, the same stuff I use on my walls. 

After the paint was thoroughly dry, I masked off stripes using 1" painters tape.  To make crisp stripes, I highly recommend spending a couple extra dollars for FrogTape instead of regular blue painters tape.  The paint seeps underneath FrogTape much less, especially if you're careful to rub the edges down well.  I then painted white over the unmasked areas.  It might seem counter-intuitive to paint white over black, but with latex paints, lighter colors cover better.


To dress up the drawer fronts, I decided to add bats behind the existing wood knobs.  Craft stores sell a variety of little wood shapes for less than $1 each.  Around Halloween, you can get shapes suitable for gothy decor -- bats, skulls, cats, coffins.  I always stock up on bats.  ;-) 

I painted the wood bats and knobs purple, then drilled a hole in each bat for the screw to go through.  To finish, I gave all the painted surfaces a couple coats of polyurethane.


The formerly ugly brown chest now proudly sports three of my favorite things: black and white stripes, bats, and purple.  :D

8 comments:

  1. >swoooooooon<
    And this is coming from someone who has sold painted furniture before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A compliment indeed, then! Thank you. I love your little bat picture. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The purple bats are a great and clever touch. I have some thrifted furniture I need to paint over and you are giving me such good ideas (especially since I am also artistically challenged).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! :-) Redoing furniture is great fun. It feels like a very tangible accomplishment. And gives me a cute place to store my tights. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder why I didn't find your blog earlier? I missed many great posts here. I'm a follower now. :)

    The chest of drawers is fantastic!!! looks awsome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You found me on my one month anniversary. ;-) Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty! You make me want to rush off and start painting my chest of drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is brilliant honestly wow ingenious idea!

    ReplyDelete